I am a 300level student, I have always been trying my best to be the best in my department, but no matter how hard I read I still don’t perform well, in fact I even had carry over in one of the courses i loved and read so much, and even my friends that we read together are far above me, some are on two one, and two are even on first class, but I am on two-two.
I am just tired of school, and I would soon quit if things don’t work out my way. Hmm, have you forgotten that some of your friends are still home, not to talk of having GP, have you thanked God for that one. If you leave school or you decide not to take your academics serious again, would it change the fact that you are not performing.
You still have some semesters to show that uncommon greatness in you, just put in that extra effort, put in a proper time management and don’t just read to pass, read to be the best. Thank God for the opportunity you have to be in school, and show your appreciation by not letting that opportunity slip away. You have what it takes to be the best, grab it with both hands and don’t let it slip away.
I am from a poor family and I don’t have the money to be able to get all, what my mates have, some have two blackberries, some laptops and some even come to school on four wheels and I have nothing.
Thank God you have two legs, two eyes, two legs, and every other part is still complete because when there is life there is hope, and if you don’t have a car or anything you desire does not mean you would not have it tomorrow. Never forget that delay is not denial and there is a reason for everything. Rather than wishing that your parents were either Dangote or Otedola why not determine to be the person that would remove your family and save your family from the chains of poverty and bring them to the era of riches and greatness.
Thank God for making you alive because you are going to be one of the richest people the world has ever seen.
When the year 2012 came, I wrote my New Year resolutions, and I could not achieve any single one. I feel so bad, and it is like I have failed myself.
Thank God that you feel remorse, but being remorse alone would not solve the fact that you did not achieve anything last year.
Thank God for giving you another opportunity to witness the year 2013 because you would not only achieve your resolutions for this year, you would break barriers.
You have what it takes in you to achieve all you have planned to achieve; you just have to find yourself, believe in yourself and identify your strengths and weakness so that things can work to your advantage.
You started a business, a project or something that meant a lot to you and the thing failed or did not work out as planned, and you feel discouraged that you planned to achieve much but you failed and you are about to quit the business or whatever it is.
Thank God that you had the determination to start something because so many people wished they had the ability to be able to start something, but don’t forget that quitters don’t win and winners don’t quit. If you decide to quit now, you are going back to the former level of not doing anything, and that is far worse that doing and failing.
You have taken the 1st step to greatness, and the next step is learning from your mistakes and converting them to opportunities and experiences that would move the particular project to the level you have never expected.
What is making you worry in this new month, that is making you forget to give thanks to God, and is also at the verge of making you want to give up? I might have touched your situation, and I might not have touched your situation, but you have the opportunity to right off those old stories and re write the history of your life.
Don’t forget that when there is life, there is hope and when there is hope, there is nothing that cannot be achieved, even the so called impossible can always is achieved when there is life. Don’t worry; be happy because this month has come with a lot of breakthroughs and opportunities. However, never expect opportunities every time, you must be able to create large opportunities out of small opportunities.
This month, you must be willing and ready to look above your past and focus mainly on your future. You have what it take to not just be a dreamer, but to be able to achieve those dream of yours, and you have what it takes to be with people at the very top, but for you to be the best, you must think like the best, behave like the best, work like the best and more importantly walk with the best.
Seun Emmanuel Alaofin (SEA)
1. A true leader does not measure his success by comparing himself with others, but with his own purpose and vision.
2. Leaders see the world while others see the miracle.
3. To win without risk is to triumph without glory.
4. Our attitude is not determined by circumstances but by how we respond to circumstances.
5. I have never been poor, only broke. Being poor is a frame of mind and being broke is only a temporary situation.
6. The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to nothing and succeed.
7. To win, you have got to stay in the game. Don’t quit.
8. Our greatest power is the power to choose.
9. The thoughts we have chosen have brought us where we are today.
10. Seeing success where others see failure may be the one thing that pushes us on to victory.
OBORE ARUTOGHOR AMALAKA
DEVELOPING CONFIDENCE with Olalekan OBISESAN
Have you ever noticed how some people captivate everyone they speak to? No matter what they look like or how much money they have, they can just walk into a room and instantly be the center of attention. When they leave, people think highly of them and want to emulate them. That’s charisma, a sort of magnetism that inspires confidence and adoration.
Like beauty, luck, and social position, charisma can open many doors in life. Unlike these other qualities, anyone can become more charismatic.
The following tips help you to your charisma
1. RELAX: Charisma is all about channeling your energy to other people. If you channel stress and anxiety, people will be repelled. If you channel relaxation and tranquility, people will be attracted to your calmness, and they’ll want to be more like you. Remember, many people may be just as nervous as you are, so take a breather and relax. Confidence will come whenever you relax.
2. BE CONFIDENT: Charisma isn’t the same thing as confidence, but appearing confident can make you more charismatic because your confidence will put others at ease and inspire faith in your abilities. Ensure you use adequate eye contact to appear confident.
3. IMPROVE YOUR POSTURE: Nothing conveys confidence like good posture, stand or sit up straight, but not rigidly. When you meet someone, give a firm handshake and look straight into the person’s eye. Display positive body language while you’re talking to someone and even when you’re just waiting around. Sit facing the person or people you’re talking to, uncross your legs and arms, and keep your hands away from your face. Look at ease, and don’t fidget or convey nervousness.
4. BE ANYONE’S EQUAL: No matter who you are talking to, treat them as an equal. If you’re talking to a potential employer, groups of wealthy donors, a child, a stranger, or an attractive guy or girl, for example, don’t put them on a pedestal or talk down to them. Be respectful of other people, of course, but respect them as equals, and expect that they will accept you as such.
5. DEVELOP A WARM PERSONALITY: If you are stuck up, no one will feel that they have to listen to you. Enjoy the company of other people. Appreciate them for their differences and welcome them into your life.
6. GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR EMOTIONS: Research has shown that people who are generally believed to be charismatic feel emotions strongly, and they are also able to relate to what others are feeling. Ironically, in many societies, the suppression of emotion is considered desirable.
Don’t be afraid to feel anger, pain, sadness, or elation, and don’t be afraid to communicate your emotions. Also be aware that there is a difference between suppressing your emotions and controlling how you express your emotions. It is this control which is truly desirable. Always be genuine – fake emotion rarely appeals to anyone.
Procrastination is the process of not doing a particular work or assignment at the appropriate time and it is usually done intentionally. The hardest thing about procrastination is that it does not only derail your progress in achieving your goals, but can also develop into a cycle that preys on emotional insecurity and lack of motivation.
Procrastination is one of the easiest things to do and it has been confirmed that what we procrastinate today would definitely be procrastinated tomorrow.
There are so many causes of procrastination but some of the causes of procrastination would be highlighted and discussed about;
1. Distraction: Distraction comes in different form as a result of giving much attention to what should not be giving much attention to and this prevents you from paying much attention to the necessary things.
Examples of these distractions are watching of movies, playing and having fun as at when not due and spending unnecessary time on social network such as Facebook, twitter, 2go and blackberry chat.
2. Laziness: This is one of the major causes of procrastination because it does not allow you to do what you are meant to do at the right time. Let’s take for example a man that wants to read by 6pm, the laziness in him would make him delay till 7pm, 8pm until he does not read again. He is not actually doing anything at that time, but the laziness in him would not actually make him do the right thing at the right time.
Laziness does not allow one to achieve a desired goal.
3. Poor Time Management: A parable says that ‘’IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, THEN YOU PLAN TO FAIL’’. One of the major reasons of procrastination is the fact that people fail to plan their day so they just do things they remember to do at that particular time and when they remember that they have to also do some other things, they procrastinate because they have exhausted all their energy on what they have previously done.
The solutions to these problems or factors that enhance procrastination are as simple as ABC and they would work perfectly if they are effectively followed.
Figure out the reason why you procrastinate: the first step to finding the solution to a problem is by knowing the problem itself. Everybody has his or her own unique reason, for procrastinating, to some it is laziness, some it is too much sleep and to some it is poor time management.
1. If it is through laziness, make conscious effort to ensure that you do everything that you want to do at the right time. I am sure you would be thinking that it is not that easy, but the success you desire would not come if you do not take the determination, decision, boldness and courage to drive out that spirit of laziness in you.
2. If it is through distraction, know which particular one is taking much of your time. If it is watching too much of movies, you could take a right step by deleting some of the movies on your system and be determined that the only time that would be used to watch film is when you have done all you are supposed to do for that day and you have enough time to rest.
If your distraction comes through spending so much time on social networks like Facebook and twitter or chatting sites like eskimi, nimbuzz, whatsapp, 2go and blackberry, I would not say that using part of your time on these sites are not good, but rather spending much of your time on this site and you are not able to do things that you are supposed to do for that day as a result of these distraction makes it worse.
3. On a daily basis, you have to set your plans for the day, like which places would you be going to for the day, what you would be doing from what time to what time and the amount of time you would be using to rest because over stressing yourself could also lead to procrastination. By doing this you would be able to achieve over 80% of what you are meant to do for the day and at the same time avoiding procrastination.
In conclusion, procrastination is not a good habit for those that want to be successful in life. It is a disease that successful people have cured out of their system.
Let me leave you with this principle I follow in my day to day activity ‘’MAKING HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINE IS ONLY POSSIBLE WHEN YOU AVOID PROCASTINATION’’.
Whatever the mind of a person can conceive and belief, it can achieve. Achieving a reputation for excellence in any given area of life follows the same principle and practise. This is because any achievement needs a corresponding investment.
Academic excellence, which is desired by very many students, does not come on a platter of gold but on a strict adherence to the principle and practices of excellence. If you can pay the price you would therefore get the prize. Attaining academic excellence gives one more access to opportunities.
While many are writing series of application letters to industries, an excellent person is being head-hunt for so many jobs. Besides, attaining academic excellence has the potential of taking someone from poverty to riches and from being a nonentity to being a celebrity.
There are four basic principles and practices which if well implanted and implemented will make you attain academic excellence.
1. HAVING A GOAL: You need to understand that life does not give you what you deserve but what you decide to desire. You must know what you want from your academics and aim at it. He who does not have a goal cannot get a goal.
To attain academic excellence, you must be a goal writer and a goal-getter. Having a goal enables you to emulate yourself and to check if you are still on track. You goal must not only be in your head but must also be written down boldly. Your goal must be smart (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound).
2. TIME: Time is the only resource giving to all in the same proportion. 24hrs is given to both the rich and the poor, first class student and third class student, parents and children, etc. however, what we do with time will determine what we get out of life. No one ever attains excellence without an understanding of time.
I have heard someone once said that time is ‘’G.P’’. Time waits for no man. There is nothing like time management since we don’t have control over time, but we can manage ourselves for time and proper planning is essential to be able to maximise your time wisely. An author once said that, ‘’TOMORROW IS THE ONLY DAY IN A YEAR THAT APPEALS TO A LAZY MAN’’.
The hardest work to do is that which should have been done yesterday. Now is the best time of the year and since time cannot be conserved, use it wisely and judiciously. Don’t overcommit yourself to too many activities because too many activities reduce productivity. When you balance your time you would have a balanced life.
3. SEPERATION FOR PREPERATION: To attain academic excellence, you must be able to separate yourself from the crowd and friends to do personal preparation. No matter how friendly or sociable you are, always give time for personal preparation.
First class students are not different from third class students, only that they know something extra in the place of preparation. Abraham Lincoln once said that ‘’IF I HAD 8 HOURS TO CUT DOWN A TREE, I WOULD USE 6 HOURS TO SHARPEN MY AXE’’. The place of preparation cannot be overemphasised.
Expectation without preparation leads to frustration and your result is as good as your preparation. Therefore you must study, study and study!!!!! The bible says that seeth thou a man diligent in his business (studies), he shall stand before kings and he shall not stand before mean (average) men. To be diligent is to be consistently hardworking and studious and this cannot be achieved without self-discipline. You must know that it is in the place of preparation that champions are made, they are only recognized in the ring (after preparation).
Preparation is the art of analysing and arranging your physical, mental and spiritual resource today in readiness for effective performance tomorrow. Remember proper preparation prevents poor performance!
4. GOD-FACTOR: Irrespective of what any school of thought may say or believe, I have come to realise that there is a supernatural power involved in all human endeavours.
For you to attain academic excellence, you need the spirit of excellence in your life and this can only come from the most excellent God by doing what he says. Immoralities like cheating, bringing of expo into the exam hall destroys academic excellence but righteous living brings you honour and excellence. Never ever forget the place of prayers!
About a hundred years ago, a man looked at the morning newspaper and to his surprise and horror, read his name in the obituary column. The newspaper had reported the death of the wrong person by mistake.
His first response was shock. Am I here or there? When he regained his composure, his second thought was to find out what people had said about him. The obituary read, “Dynamite King Dies.” And also “He was the merchant of death.”
This man was the inventor of dynamite and when he read the words “merchant of death,” he asked himself a question, “Is this how I am going to be remembered?” He got in touch with his feelings and decided that this was not the way he wanted to be remembered.
From that day on, he started working toward peace. His name was Alfred Nobel and he is remembered today by the great Nobel Prize.
Just as Alfred Nobel got in touch with his feelings and redefined his values, we should step back and do the same. Most times, some people behave like they would never leave the particular position they are, and they start misbehaving and steeping other people toes thereby making them look inferior.
Have this article spoken to you; why not ask yourself the following questions.
1. What if you are to leave the particular place or position where you are now, what legacy would you be leaving?
2. How would you like to be remembered?
3. Would you be spoken well of?
Would you be remembered with love and respect?
4. Would you be missed?
If the answers to these questions are taking time to come, and maybe if they are all negative answers, then you have to sit down and have a rethink like Alfred Nobel.
1. In everyone, there are strengths and there are weaknesses. Work hard to improve your strength, and work harder on your weakness to achieve uncommon success.
2. Finding yourself, knowing yourself and believing in yourself are indeed the 1st steps to greatness.
3. Failure plus excuse would never change the fact that you failed.
4. Think out of the box, expand your imagination. A man would never grow more than his thoughts.
5. Hard work does not guarantee success. Divine Revelation does.
6. There are two main categories of friends, the good and the Bad friends. Don’t be deceived, there are no sitting on the wall friends.
7. Nobody is perfect in life. Every1 has a good and useful side, Learn from the good sides and completely ignore the bad side.
8. In the perspective of men, a fool at 40 is finished, but in the presence of God, a fool at 59 can still write the story of his life again.
9. Everyone is beautiful and handsome. You just need the right set of eyes to see the beauty.
10. A leader must be able to follow instructions. A leader that cannot follow instructions would never be able to give people instruction and they would be willing to follow.
11. The leaders of today were once followers of yesterday. When the followers are corrupt free then the leaders would be.
12. Every successful and powerful man has a supernatural power that He depends on, either the power of God or the other power.
13. How you see your difficulties determines how they would affect you.
14. When a man clocks 20, he begins to seriously think of his future. Questions like what does the future holds for me begin to come up.
15. Rather than dividing my eggs on my own and holding them, I would rather put the eggs in one basket and give it to God.
16. A failure has no friends, but the day he becomes successful, people would follow him everywhere, they would even follow him on twitter.
17. Quitters never win and winners never quit.
18. A man without a vision is like a car without a driver.
19. For you to be the best, you have to think like the best, behave like the best, work like the best and walk with the best.
20. Coming from a poor background is not a sin, but deciding to remain poor and not leaving that poverty background is where the sin lies.
21. Until the size of your vision intimidates the size of your pocket, then you have not gotten your real vision.
22. People would always talk about you at your back. You don’t need to worry because it is only people of high repute people talk about.
23. REAL- Remember Everybody Aren’t Loyal.
24. Resting your ability in the lord’s capability is the fastest way to breaking human protocols.
25. If you constantly find yourself with the majority, then something is wrong because the majority is most times not always right.
26. Without determination, you would never be able to start anything meaningful in life.
1. What one thing did I do excellently in 2012?
2. What did I do poorly in 2012?
3. What goal did I not achieve in 2012 and why?
4. What habit(s) must I STOP with 2012?
5. What new habit(s) must I cultivate in 2013?
6. What relationship(s) do I need to fuel the more?
7. What relationship(s) do I need to terminate?
8. Why haven’t I realized my academical dreams?
9. How can I realize my academical dreams?
10. What is one thing I MUST do daily in 2013?
11. What is one ‘Impossible’ goal I must achieve in 2013
12. How can I be more useful to my society in 2013?
13. How can I be more valuable to my family?
14. What books must I read in 2013?
15. Who can I help get better in 2013?
16. How can my spiritual life get better in 2013?
17. How would I spend each day?
18. What should I be financially worth in 2013?
19. What practical steps can I take to make my financial goals a reality?
20. Would I be counting my trophies at the end of 2013 or would I be cooking up ‘world class’ excuses for my failure?
Written by Treasure Kalu. Follow on twitter@inspiringteekay
I was jogging one day and i noticed a person in front of me, about 1/4 of mile. I could tell he was running a little slower than me and I thought, well, i shall try to catch him.
I had about a mile to go my path before i needed to turn off. So i started running faster and faster. Every block, i was gaining on him just a little bit. After just a few minutes i was only about 100 yards behind him, so i really picked up the pace and pushed myself.
You would have thought i was running in the last leg of London Olympic competition. I was determined to catch him. Finally, i did it! I caught and passed him by. On the inside i felt so good. “I beat him” of course, he didn’t even know we were racing. After i passed him, i realized i had been so focused on competing against him that i had missed my turn. I had gone nearly six blocks past it. I had to turn around and go all back.
Isn’t that what happens in life when we focus on competing with co-workers, neighbors, friends, family, trying to outdo them or trying to prove that we are more successful or more important?
We spend our time and energy running after them and we miss out on our own paths to our God given destinies. The problem with unhealthy competition is that it’s a never ending cycle.
There will always be somebody ahead of you, someone with better job, nicer car, more money in the bank, more education, a prettier wife, a more handsome husband, better behaved children, etc. But realize that “You can be the best that you can be when you are competing with no one.”
Some people are insecure because they pay too much attention to what others are doing, where others are going, wearing & driving.
Take what God has given you, the height, weight & personality. Dress well & wear it proudly! You’ll be blessed by it.
Stays focused and live a healthy life!! LIVE IS NOT ABOUT COMPETITION.
Time and ability plus double capacity has forced my pen to dance automatically on this benedicted sheet of paper. Why this miraculous thing happened is because honey I love you spontaneously and as I stand horizontal to the wall and perpendicular to the ground I only think of you, since you are a fantastic and fabulous girl.
Darling please Stop haranguing with the feelings in my heart because I love you more than a snake loves rat. To me each day starts by thinking of you and ends by dreaming of you. Each time I see you my metabolism suddenly stops and my peristalsis goes in reverse gear. My medular-oblangata also stops functioning.
Crazy crazy crazy you may say but this is true. If only you knew what is going on in my encephalon you would understand. That’s why I need to see face to face with you, soon. I think I have to pen-off here because I still haven’t finished studying electrolysis and polymerization. Catch you later. Sleep tight and don’t let those bed bugs bite you coz you are too sweet a thing for them.
My Love, My Sugar, I was exasperated with pride to have received one from you, the lungs in my body flapped with joy when I have been reading your letter. Anyway by now you have reached the realization to why I am jotting this small letter to you, yes it is to see if you are keeping with the sands of time.
How is everything on that other side of yours? Well here everything is just half lemon half sugar to make it Schweppes. How is your schooling? How are you pulling the wagons of life? I am just pulling the schooling thing like a donkey pulling a cart.
My Honie, I am missing you very much right now, and my heart is perambulating with every word that I write, if it was not for these oceans that decided to flow between us then I would get on the next bus to come and see you, but until then I know that I will not hesitate to put this blue blood on this paper and write to you.
I remember that day lovie, that one sweet day as Maria Carey sung it, you know that it is my favorite song Honie. The one day that we were boarding the transport and you escorted me to my home, walking with you just brought sweet dreams to me for the rest of my life Honie.
If words of love could ride a bicycle I would be competing against Mariah Carey. Anyways, I will not stop you from reading the books that gives you life and education, so I will stop here for today.
Please always be writing to me because I am missing you like sugar misses tea. Keep well my mop of my heart, yours in flesh and in blood. And have a nice day.
Abegi if your boyfriend or girlfriend sends you such message or you see this message on your friend’s phone, how would you react.