(PART 2) 22 ways to discover and live your dreams
12. Brainstorm. Sometimes there are more than one road to get to a destination. Brainstorm a bunch of ideas for getting there, a bunch of actions you can take to move yourself closer to your destination. Then put them together into your roadmap. Even if you don’t have a complete roadmap, having a clearly defined destination, and taking the first step, are enough to get you started.
13. Do research. Learn as much as you can about your dream. Check out some books from the library, do some web surfing, talk to others who are knowledgeable. Become an expert on the topic.
14. How are others doing it? Find others who are living your dream. Read about them, write to them, meet with them. Find out what steps they took to get there, what’s required, how they did it. Then use that information for your roadmap.
15. Practice, practice. While you’re taking your steps to realizing your dream, practice your passion as much as possible. Practice, of course, makes perfect … and you want to be as good at what you want to do as humanly possible. This isn’t an easy step, but it’s worth it.
16. Get inspired. Find others who are trying to achieve the same dream, see what obstacles they’ve face and how they’ve overcome them. Put up photos from magazines to inspire you. Read motivational quotes. If you’re inspired, you will have the energy needed to get there.
17. Get motivated. Along those lines, find motivation to keep you on your path. Motivation and focus are the keys to achieving any goal. What are your motivations? Making a public commitment, setting up rewards, inspiring yourself, tracking your progress, and joining a support group or finding a partner are great ways to motivate yourself.
18. Simplify: one purpose. Once you’ve defined your dream, focus on it completely. That means you need to put any other goals on the back burner for now, and have only one purpose in your life. Later, you can focus on other goals, but if you have multiple goals, you will become distracted and lose purpose. Focus. Simplify your life so that you are keeping your focus on that one thing.
19. Use a mantra. A great way to keep yourself focused is to use Guy Kawasaki’s idea of creating a mantra instead of a mission statement. Boil your goal down to a few words. Guys’ mantra: empower entrepreneurs. What’s yours? Once you’ve defined your mantra, print it out, post it up, and say it several times a day.
20. Set aside time each day. You will not go anywhere if you don’t devote time to your dream. Set aside an hour (or at least 30 minutes) each day for working towards your dream. If you can do more, great, but one step at a time is all it takes. Set aside time either in the morning, or in the evening, or some time when you know you will do it every day. Make it a habit, and you will succeed.
21. Pretend you can’t fail. Imagine that you cannot fail, that you may slip up and fall, but that you will get up and learn from that fall. Take away all fear of risk and loss, and believe in your success. Now act as if you cannot fail. And by acting so, you will make it happen.
22. Live as you want to be remembered. How do you want to be remembered when you die? This is a common method for deciding how to live your life. If you want to remembered for realizing your dream, then don’t start on it when it’s too late. Start on it now. Live your life so that your dream actually comes true.
OlalekanOBISESAN is a Farmer, Writer, Public Speaker and on-air personality. He can be reached via email@example.com , 08136208979 or twitter @lekanobisesan. You can as well listen to him on EKITI FM 91.5 on Mondays and Thursdays at 6.25